Thursday, May 19, 2011

Pre vs. Post Tablet

So... I've been looking a lot at the pieces I completed using a mouse (pre-Tablet), and the pieces I've designed after I got my lovely-wonderful-amazing-fantabulistic Wacom Tablet (<3 my Tablet!).  I knew that the pieces post-Tablet were much better (because it's frankly a lot easier to draw with a pen than with a mouse, simple as), but I didn't know to what extent.  Curious, I decided to try to redraw a pre-Tablet banner I did for Kishin with my Wacom Tablet.  I managed to surprise even myself.

This is the best I could do pre-Tablet.  At the time, I was really happy with it.


This is what I was able to achieve with the Tablet:


I find the difference shocking.  It's amazing how much difference a simple tool can make.

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic artwork Bonni3, love it! I'm a fan of the black background stuff, even though it is all great of course.

    I was looking at Wacom tablets a few weeks ago, if you don't mind me asking, which size tablet do you use for these?

    MB.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Miura! Thanks so much; I'm glad you like it! The black background stuff is my favorite too. =)

    As for my tablet, I use the basic Wacom Pen Tablet ($69.95) combined with Gimp (which is basically a free version of Microsoft Paint that lets you do create images in layers). I looked at fancier, bigger versions of the tablet, but unless you are a professional artist using a program like Illustrator, I don't think it's necessary.

    http://www.wacom.com/en/Products/BambooTablets/BambooPen.aspx

    ReplyDelete